Frequently Asked Questions
- What do we accept? We accept items from your home that are used for household
purposes only. They include, but are not limited to, household cleaners, paint and paint related products, yard/automotive
and pool products, batteries, aerosols (except for mace and Freon), small propane and BBQ size propane cylinders, items that
contain Mercury, and up to 4 tires per visit.
- What do we not accept? We cannot accept waste from businesses, electronics (computers/TVs/DVR/radios/etc),
explosives (including ammunition and firecrackers), medical/biological/radioactive materials (including smoke detectors), household
appliances, and municipal trash.
- I have business waste so how do I dispose of my materials? We are not allowed to accept waste from businesses.
Businesses must call the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Small Business Assistance Hotline at 1-800-447-2827 or the local line
at 713-767-3726 for information on disposal of business waste.
- Is there a fee? There is no charge for our services.
- What if I live in the incorporated City of Houston but I am closer to the Harris County facility? Any City of
Houston resident living closer to the Harris County facility may utilize this facility.
- Where do I take my electronics? You can go to
www.recycleinfo.org to find the closest location where you can take your E-Cycling. We suggest calling the company first to make sure they
can accept the size item you are bringing and their hours of operation.
- Can you take my prescription medications? We can accept over the counter medications. Your prescription
medications may be disposed at one of the Drug Enforcement Agency’s (DEA) events that are conducted in the spring and fall. Check their web-site
at http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/ or call the Texas office at 210-442-5600
for information on their collections.
- Where can I take my syringes? Syringes are sharps and we do not accept these. You can do a search on the web
for “sharps disposal Houston Texas” and you will be directed to the locations in the Houston area that will service your needs.
- What if I have a helium or oxygen tank? We only accept small and BBQ size propane cylinders. If you have a
helium tank, contact the place where you purchased it and see if they will take it back. If not, contact a metals recycler for proper disposal.
If you have an oxygen cylinder, contact your doctor or the place you purchased it. They should take them back.
- Where do I take my recyclables (paper, cans, glass, etc)? You can go to www.earth911.com or www.recycleinfo.org for information on recycling.
These services are usually provided to residents of unincorporated Harris County by the HOA or water provider. Please contact them to see if you
have door to door recycling services.
- What if I have shingles, wood, tiles, or other construction debris? We do not accept these items. If the items
are in good condition, please call the City of Houston ReUse Warehouse at 281.814.3324.If they are not reusable, contact your closest landfill for
- Do I have to make an appointment? No, you may come any of the days we are open.
- Can I hold my own collection and bring those items to you? No – you may bring your neighbor’s materials or your
relative’s materials with you as long as it fits in your vehicle.
- Can I get my gas/oil container back? It is preferred you have your antifreeze, gas, motor oil, and cooking oil
in a container that we can keep. You may purchase a 5 gallon bucket at any local hardware or paint store. If you do need your container back, please
come between 9:00 am and 9:30 am.